change is not a four-letter word!
I recently was part of a Zoom meeting with Regional Moderator Horace Williams and Regional Treasurer Kathy Smith. We had wonderful informal conversation about the life of our local, district, regional, and general church.
Most of our discussion centered on changes in all of the areas of church and looking to the future of the church. We started and ended with prayer and amazingly I received the following email shortly after our Zoom conference:
I am a member of a spiritual growth group via Zoom on Sundays. When I hung up the phone just now from our call, I went to the readings for tomorrow. Here is what I found:
"The mystery of transformation more often happens not when something new begins, but when something old falls apart. The pain of something old falling apart - chaos - invites the soul to listen at a deeper level, and sometimes forces the soul to go to new places in any other way." Richard Rohar
I immediately thought of our discussion about changes we face in our congregations, regions, and general church. We Disciples are invited to listen at a deeper level, and, I think, we must be prepared to go to new places we would not otherwise go....but I do hope we can get there before things fall apart in chaos!
I emailed Kathy back "AMEN!"
I pray as we all have seen changes in our private lives, church life, spiritual life, and overall Christian journey of faith and will continue to see changes, that this "chaos" will invite our souls to listen at a deeper level, and be willing to go to new places.
Take care and "listen closely", Pastor Jimmy
Scripture Readings for August 2021
August 1 - Proper 13 (18)
2 Samuel 11:26-12:13a and Psalm 51:1-12
Exodus 16:2-4, 9-15 and Psalm 78:23-29
August 8 - Proper 14 (19)
2 Samuel 18:5-9, 15, 31-33 and Psalm 130
1 Kings 19:4-8 and Psalm 34:1-8
John 6:35, 41-51
August 15 - Proper 15 (20)
1 Kings 2:10-12; 3:3-14 and Psalm 111
Proverbs 9:1-6 and Psalm 34:9-14
August 22 - Proper 16 (21)
1 Kings 8: (1,6,10-11), 22-30, 41-43 and Psalm 84
Joshua 24:1-2a, 14-18 and Psalm 34:15-22
August 29 - Proper 17 (22)
Song of Solomon 2:8-13 and Psalm 45:1-2,6-9
Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9 and Psalm15
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
2004 Rosedale Circle
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
5605 Meer Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Fountains at the Albemarle
200 Trade Street
Tarboro, NC 27886
Gayle Davis - Room C200
Hazel McNair - Room B100
Ray & Kitty Styons - Room C207
Roanoke Landing Rehab & Nursing Center
1084 U.S. Hwy 64 East
Plymouth, NC 27962
BASIC CHANGES TO SANCTUARY WORSHIP AT FCC-PLYMOUTH
1) While you are inside the church building, practice 6 ft. social distancing and wear a mask if you have not been vaccinated (disposable masks will be available if you do not have your own). Hand sanitizer will also be there.
2) Attendance books are removed. Greeter will check attendance.
3) Communion will be served at the table on the floor. Come forward down the middle aisle (6 ft. apart), then go back to your seat by the wall on your side. Offering may be put in the offering plate behind the back pews as you enter. Food items may be put in the basket at the back of the church as usual.
4) The 11 o'clock worship will be the only Sunday gathering. For now, there will be NO Sunday school, Nursery, or Worship and Wonder.
5) Service will be shone live on Facebook and later posted on Facebook and YouTube.com (fccplymouthnc).
6) If you have any questions, feel free to call Pastor Jimmy (661-0411), Elder chair, George Waters, Board Chair Cecil Windley, or CWF president Linda Ginn.